Last year in my garden I grew many vegetables including kale and lettuce. I covered the lettuce with netting to prevent bugs but unfortunately I didn't cover the kale; by mid-summer it was no longer edible as it was full of caterpillars. I also didn't like the netting I used on the lettuce as it was always getting dirty and you couldn't see the lettuce through it. This year Eric and I decided to build what we call lettuce boxes. The plan was a wood frame with window screen surrounding it to prevent all the creepy crawlies but still allow sun and water to penetrate. There's no lid, when I want to harvest the lettuce or kale I'll just lift the box out of the way.
We spent a couple hours this past weekend making five frames. Materials included: power nailer, glue, stapler, window screen, measuring tape, and scrap wood we had laying around.
After making five frames we started putting the window screen on. We thought we had plenty with two rolls of 48", apparently we didn't. We used one roll per frame. We'll try out the two boxes in the garden this year, if they work we'll put screen on the other three.